To be handed in Wednesday 25th January
Task 1 – Literacy
This week we would like you to have a go at learning the word class poem. It is a continuing focus in SPaG and literacy as children are required to know the diferent word classes.
Word Class Poem
A NOUN names each idea or thing,
As school, computer, fear, or swing;
ADJECTIVES describe the noun,
As true, new, frantic, sharp or brown;
Instead of nouns the PRONOUNS sit –
As he, you, my, they or it;
The VERB means action, something done –
To read, to write, to have, to run;
How, when and where the ADVERBS tell,
As slowly, soon, now, near, or well;
CONJUNCTIONS join the words together,
As ‘men and women’, ‘wind or weather’;
A PREPOSITION stands before a noun,
As in, behind or through the town;
Which noun you mean DETERMINERS tell –
The ball, two books, those pens, my bell;
Through Poetry, we learn how each
of these make up THE PARTS OF SPEECH!
Task 2 – Maths
Continuing on from our maths open morning last Friday, we would like you to play a game of Nice ‘n’ Nasty with someone at home. This is a game which allows children to practice their knowledge of place value.
Here are the instructions as a reminder:
- Find a partner and a dice with 1 – 6.
- Each of you needs to draw 4 boxes in a row.
- Take turns to roll the dice and decide which of your four boxes to fill.
- Do this four times each until all the boxes are full and read the four digits as a whole number.
- Whoever has the largest four-digit number wins.