Life at Hazeldown
Things we hold dear / Our core principles and beliefs / What makes us, us! / What makes us special / The Hazeldown way / Our culture…
- Strong relationships and connections between adults and children are imperative (Rita Pierson).
- A calm sense of support, nurture and care for our children.
- Aspiration for, and achievement of, Greater Depth outcomes and a positive approach to challenge are continually referenced, exemplified and taught within lessons.
- Development of social responsibility and an understanding of making a positive contribution to society.
- Children are encouraged to embrace a warrior spirit, be a strategist and develop a positive ethos and passion for who they are and what they do in pursuit of their North Star.
Ensuring engagement and investment
- Engagement, ownership and individuality in learning supporting a passion for discovery through a ‘Head, Heart and Hands’ approach - the Self Organised Learning Environment (SOLE).
- A clear purpose for actions at every level (Simon Sinek).
- Strong cross-curricular opportunities for genuine application
- Positive attitudes to learning, linked to Growth Mindset are continually referenced, exemplified and taught within lessons.
- Development of resilience, and the importance of specific feedback (Austin’s Butterfly).
- Children have an on-going reflective attitude to their learning through the use of purple pens for editing and re-drafting, reflecting and articulating their learning and progress (‘purple for progress’).
- Focused knowledge, skills and understanding within subject-specific learning balanced with exemplified cross-curricular links and approaches (being ‘in the mind of an artist’ when learning art but knowing how the knowledge, skills and understanding connect to other curriculum areas).